In our most confrontational podcast yet, your faithful Geek Whisperers paint a picture of overlapping skills that don’t always play nicely together. Yes, we talk Public Relations and its often tense relationship with Social Media teams.
DISCLAIMER: We apologize in advance to our friends in Public Relations. Better yet, if you’re offended and/or opinionated, join us on our next show recording! (Click to tweet us)
Back to the show notes:
Each of us has a point to make accompanied by an observation. In some particular order, here they are.
- Point: “I’m not 13 and I don’t tweet for a living”
- Pushback: There’s a great deal of strategy – even an art – to doing this social media engagement well. Respect it and acknowledge it’s not about being on one platform or another.
- Bonus Point: People’s public image on social media is not 100% who we are. Listen in to understand this line a bit more.
- Point: “Your people are not better than my people”
- Pushback: Influencers are best when matched to an audience. When you need more context-specific influencers, social media influencers can be much more powerful, even if they don’t work for a giant press company.
- Bonus Point: Remember a large part of cross-org success is speaking similar language. Analytics are the great equalizer.
- Point: “Don’t pitch, make friends”
- Pushback: A common theme for some to get on Twitter is about tweeting more headline links to press releases. Don’t make it that – talk to those who you want to know and hope to influence.
- Bonus Point: Give another listen to our podcast with Sunshine on how to be in rapport with your audience.
And remember, if we’re wrong or you just want to even out the discussion, come on the show! We’d love to have you there.