- Views 6166
Your Geek Whisperers have the pleasure of welcoming Steve Herrod to the show, former CTO of VMware, who now drinks tons of coffee as a VC for General Catalyst.
We have the opportunity to demystify what a venture capitalist does in a day and we capture a number career tips in the process.
- The change of pace after running an Engineering organization
- How VCs are small businesses
- How Steve started as an Engineer and worked his way into leadership by doing the job
- Steve’s destiny being written as a “Computer Salesman” according to high school aptitude test
- That a VC role is simple – find high potential people and make them success
- The positive energy of being surrounded by optimists all day
- Leadership and mentorship inside a company
- Benefits of a no-boundary learning style
- Shaping culture by accident and on purpose
- Humility as an asset
- Wookiee in the wild (see image below)
- What the future of Enterprise IT careers has in store for us
- The increasing importance of developers with communication skills
- This statement: “Your ability to learn becomes all that really matters”
It was such a pleasure to learn from Steve Herrod on this round of whisperings. Stay tuned for more insights into mystical jobs and evolving careers.