IT pros gather in tribes surrounding vendors. Are open source projects like OpenStack driving more mixing of the tribes? Are vendor-neutral communities on the upswing? This week we talk with fellow Whisperers John Troyer about his new independent IT community, TechReckoning, and with Amy Lewis about her attendance at the recent OpenStack Summit.
We also talked about:
- Open Stack Summit, Atlanta, May 2014
- vBrownbag Tech Talks at the OpenStack Summit – YouTube playlist
- Art of Community by Jono Bacon
- Episode 38 of the Geek Whisperers with Frank Denneman: The Velvet Rope & The Sense of Community
- Indeed, this was not VMware’s @scott_lowe‘s first time at an Open Stack Summit. Here is his presentation with Kenneth Hui from the Hong Kong Summit in 2013.
- Amy and John interviewed by Stu Miniman: Leveraging Social Media with Community and Influencers
- John’s announcement of TechReckoning: On Leaving VMware and Creating a New IT Community
- Sign up for The TechReckoning weekly newsletter
- Origin of the Gartner Group on Wikipedia and stories about Gartner Group history from the blog of Gideon Gartner
- Metafilter. After this podcast was recorded, Matt Haughey announced that Metafilter was laying off staffers because of a sustained reduction in Google traffic. Metafilter members, including John, are contributing to support the site.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Be First to Comment