Tyler Hannan, Director of Technical Marketing at Basho, digests what in the world a Technical Marketing Engineer (TME) does. His journey goes from database administration to technical orator and he has a great view of the many parts of the Enterprise IT world.
I (Matt) have the pleasure of working with Tyler and put our heads together to walk through the marketing side of technology storytelling.
In this episode, we cover:
- Engineers who like to speak for a living
- Marketers who have a passion for technology
- Org charts, org charts, org charts
- The difference between Technical Marketing and Product Marketing
- Delivering the new normal of content: more technical, more interesting
- Developer Advocates, Technical Evangelists and Solution Architects
- The internal enablement work and external communications
- Are you a Marketer who is technical or an Engineer who likes marketing? Is there only one path?
- Staying happy marketing and happy staying technical
- The organizational recognition of valuing both skills
- How TME roles let Conway’s Law play nicely inside the company
- Is this planned or accidental career paths?
- Consumption of content as metric vs gut-based marketing?
- What skills makes for a good TME?
- What’s the career path for a Technical Marketer? Where do organizations go from here?
A little non sequitur, this is my favorite talk by Tyler:
What’s important to glean from this conversation is a recognition that staying technical is not only a valid option for those interested in marketing, but it’s a necessary step for Enterprise IT companies from small startup to massive enterprise.
Keep an eye out for the TME roles and share your story with us @Geek_Whisperers.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
[…] Geek Whisperers: Bringing people together is Not Marketing with Amy Hermes – Ep 93 and We Need to Speak Differently – Technical Marketing with Tyler Hannan – Ep […]
[…] maintaining labs. It’s a role for those who can both read a room and write a mean script. Learn more about it on this episode of the Geek […]
[…] Andrew Miller already did a great job describing what the tech marketing function is/can be all about here. Or as Matthew Broberg jokingly (but not really though) described it in episode 94 of The Geek Whisperers […]