A car club has a lot in common with a technology community, and both follow similar patterns. We talk with Frank Denneman about what gives a sense of community, boundaries & membership, and how to sustain a community over multiple generations.
This episode was recorded live at VMware PEX 2014 in San Francisco. Now follow along boys and girls, because science!
Okay, Dr. Troyer is going to drop you some science. -Dr. Troyer
Some of the topics we cover:
- Influencer Programs: Pros & Cons
- 4 Elements to Creating a “Sense of Community” (this was the science that Dr. Troyer dropped)
- Boundaries and trust
- Nice cars
- The act of creating a group excludes others
- Having similar levels of risk – what’s at stake – gives a common bond
- Building trust in a community
- Fulfillment of needs – to both give and receive values
- Tech Evangelism — here’s our episode with Greg Knieriemen
- Amy’s interview on NerdBlurt Media
- Community sustainability